[racket] A primitive more fundamental than a continuation?

From: Galler (lzgaller at optonline.net)
Date: Sun Dec 2 01:42:11 EST 2012

>>Now imagine that we lied. We don't really reify evaluation contexts as
[continuation] procedures but as [continuation] objects with additional
operations for inspecting and possibly mutating them. One could imagine that
continuations are organized as a [abstract] sequence of [abstract] frames:

Now I've become slightly confused by the direction the discussion has taken.

Continuations do appear to be a distinct primitive as opposed to procedures,
and Racket provides the predicate continuation? (see Reference s.9.4)

Racket also provides operations for inspecting continuations, for example
(continuation-marks k) returns the set of marks associated with k. (see Ref.
s9.5).

Is the answer  'Racket can't provide mutable continuations b/c continuations
are implemented like procedures'

or is it

'Racket could implement mutable continuations, but has not'

And, to be clear, I don't have a single reason for why it should provide
mutable continuations.

I'm just attempting to check my understanding of Racket's continuations by
investigating some obvious corrollaries.

Thanks

Zack

Posted on the users mailing list.