[racket] wikipedia on IDE's

From: Eduardo Bellani (ebellani at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 31 13:04:54 EDT 2012

This cheat sheet is accurate. What imo you don't get from it
is the solid structure that paredit provides. You cannot unbalance
your parens without some effort (like explicitly cutting out a
region). This frees up the mental effort of checking out if you got
things correct. Its a major plus to program in lisp like languages,
because you can leverage the tree structure of the code more easily.
That's my view of it.

On 08/30/2012 07:19 PM, John Clements wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2012, at 3:04 PM, Neil Van Dyke wrote:
>
>> Eduardo Bellani wrote at 08/30/2012 06:00 PM:
>>> Paredit is more structured than what I can get out of emacs. It
>>> does not allow me to get my sexps unbalanced. For instance, to
>>> close and align all the parens I just go on pressing ')' until
>>> I hit the end of the function I'm working on.
>>>

>> There was something called DivaScheme (Danny?) that seemed like
>> DrScheme's answer to paredit.
>>
>> Maybe someone wants to integrate it into the core, or advertise
>> it, or whatever.
>
> My recollection is that DivaScheme wasn't well-integrated into the
>  existing editor, and relied on re-parsing the input after each
> keystroke.  I think that if you wanted something more like paredit,
> it might simply suffice to add bindings for the "closer" keys that
> mapped them to the search-for-end-of-sexp, though I do see (looking
> again at the paredit cheat-sheet) that the editor would have to
> distinguish whether or not it was in a comment.
>
> Come to think of it, I'm not sure how commenting-out works in
> paredit. What if I insert a semicolon that comments out several
> close parens, and no open parens? I would try it myself, but it
> looks like paredit is something that needs to be installed
> separately.
>
> FWIW, I'm working from this cheat sheet:
>
> http://emacswiki.org/emacs/PareditCheatsheet
>
> John
>

>> Neil V.
>>
>> ____________________ Racket Users list: