[racket] wikipedia on IDE's

From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan (vu3rdd at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 30 23:55:05 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 3:22 AM, John Clements
<clements at brinckerhoff.org> wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2012, at 2:43 PM, Eduardo Bellani wrote:
>
>> What holds me personally to emacs is paredit for now. DR is rocking these days,
>> specially debugging wise.
>
> Really? We've got most of what paredit offers, including mapping raw left-paren to matched-pair (this option is currently called "automatic parentheses"). Glancing over the cheat-sheet, it looks like the only major change would be the fact that right-paren is not mapped to jump-outward; instead, I just use the right arrow for that (when there are intervening chars, I  use opt-up opt-right).
>
> Are there other things that paredit gives you?

My main gripe with DrRacket's automatic parentheses is the removal.
When, say, the left paren is removed, the right one remains. Paredit
handled such things automatically. Also Paredit is aware of the
context. If one insert a parenthesis inside a comment, it won't try to
balance it. It uses the `parser state' information from emacs
extensively to do its work, if I remember correct (I read the code
long ago to see if I can implement something similar in DrRacket, but
gave up).

 <http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Parser-State.html>

--
  Ramakrishnan