[racket] compiling racket under low resource systems?

From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at hashcollision.org)
Date: Wed Aug 29 02:26:31 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Danny Yoo <dyoo at hashcollision.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to update to Racket 5.3 under one of my shared servers, and
> unfortunately I'm running into resource issues: I'm only allowed a
> maximum of 256MB ram, and the build, using default settings, takes
> significantly more than this.  I suspect one source of issues is the
> parallel build during the bytecode compilation of the collections.
>
> What options can I use with ./configure to force it to use minimal
> resources?  Thanks!

Followup: at the moment, I've done the following, and it appears to work:

    * Configure the build to not generate documentation, nor use places

    ./configure --disable-docs --disable-places

    * Even with places disabled, I saw 'make install' spawning off
several processes at once, at least according to top.  I needed to
force only one worker during 'make install', as described by
http://docs.racket-lang.org/raco/running.html, by setting up
PLT_SETUP_OPTIONS

    PLT_SETUP_OPTIONS="-j 1" make install

Posted on the users mailing list.