[racket] Thread creation slow?

From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at hashcollision.org)
Date: Sat Aug 18 22:40:19 EDT 2012

> If the 1 minute versus 1 second is accurate, then there was a 60x
> performance difference in the beginning and Matthew managed to improve
> it by a factor of 5 or even slightly over 6 when tuning, so it seems
> to me Racket would still be slower by 10x.

I checked with the blog author a few days ago, and he reports that one of
his test programs runs significantly slower under the development version
of Racket vs. 5.2.1, after these changes:

cxwangyi <http://cxwangyi.wordpress.com/> says:
August 15, 2012 at 7:53
am<http://cxwangyi.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/chinese-whispers-in-racket-and-go/#comment-478>

Thanks for the update, and I am now looking forward to v5.3.0.18.

One more thing: I just compared v5.2.1 with v5.3.0.17, and found the latter
runs times slower.

$time racket-5.2.1/bin/racket /tmp/a.rkt
real 0m35.430s
user 0m26.235s
sys 0m5.334s

$time ~/racket-5.3.0.17/bin/racket /tmp/a.rkt
real 1m54.070s
user 0m47.368s
sys 0m27.836s
Reference: the comments section of
http://cxwangyi.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/chinese-whispers-in-racket-and-go/

Maybe someone can follow up with the author directly?