[racket] Basic inquiry

From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at cs.wpi.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 25 14:28:32 EDT 2012

> I am sure that this will sound stupid, but I am a complete beginner to
> programming and have just downloaded Racket from the
> racket-lang.org/download/ site.  It is now installed on my computer but when
> I click it, the only thing that opens is a black screen with a flashing
> cursor below the sentence "Welcome to Racket v5.2.1".
>
> Where do I go from here?  How do I choose the Dr Racket programming
> environment and the level of beginner as advised in the book "how to design
> programs."

For future reference: mention what kind of operating system you are
using.  This is a detail that can help us give you better advice on
how to start DrRacket.

When you install DrRacket, it should come with a suite of programs.
The program that you're clicking is plain Racket, which doesn't give
you a nice editing environment.  But you should also see a program
named "DrRacket": this is the editing environment you should be using
with How to Design Programs.

The interface looks something like this:

    http://docs.racket-lang.org/drracket/interface-essentials.html

You'll know you have the right program running when you see that kind
of window show up, rather than the plain console window you're seeing
now.

Posted on the users mailing list.