[racket] Basic inquiry

From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at cs.wpi.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 25 14:28:32 EDT 2012

> I am sure that this will sound stupid, but I am a complete beginner to
> programming and have just downloaded Racket from the
> racket-lang.org/download/ site.  It is now installed on my computer but when
> I click it, the only thing that opens is a black screen with a flashing
> cursor below the sentence "Welcome to Racket v5.2.1".
> Where do I go from here?  How do I choose the Dr Racket programming
> environment and the level of beginner as advised in the book "how to design
> programs."

For future reference: mention what kind of operating system you are
using.  This is a detail that can help us give you better advice on
how to start DrRacket.

When you install DrRacket, it should come with a suite of programs.
The program that you're clicking is plain Racket, which doesn't give
you a nice editing environment.  But you should also see a program
named "DrRacket": this is the editing environment you should be using
with How to Design Programs.

The interface looks something like this:

You'll know you have the right program running when you see that kind
of window show up, rather than the plain console window you're seeing

Posted on the users mailing list.