[racket] Typed Racket and GUI development

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 23 17:51:08 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Patrick Mahoney
<paddy.mahoney at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Is it currently possible to type gui elements racket/gui/base in typed
> racket? I'm interested in migrating a small gui app to typed racket, but
> there isn't a typed/racket/gui/base module. I guess what I am really looking
> to determine is whether it is going to be possible to type objects from
> racket/class. Has there been any work towards that end.

There's been a small amount of work toward that end.  See
`typed/mred/mred' and `typed/framework/framework', which export a few
parts of the GUI libraries with types.  However, the type story for
classes is quite immature -- it's not possible to write typed classes,
only use them.  We're actively working on this at the moment, but we
don't have anything to show yet.

The upshot is that I don't think I'd recommend using Typed Racket for
non-trivial GUI programming at the moment, but you could certainly
make the model/controller typed without typing the view, if you design
your application that way.
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu