[racket] message-box too small to display title

From: Patrick Mahoney (paddy.mahoney at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 20 15:42:18 EDT 2012

Hello Mr. Spier,

I ran into this issue recently-are you using racket on Windows out of
curiosity? In short, I think you need to set auto-resize to #t explicitly
upon init'ing your message.

I submitted problem report 12714 to track this.

#|Setting up the first frame and parent.|#
(define parent1 (new frame%
                              [label "Parent1"]
                              [width 200]
                              [height 200]
                              [enabled #t]))

#|Not working - messages sent to this frame appear to truncate past the
first digit. Adjusting the label below to a string longer than the string
sent to the messages% set-label method avoids the issue as well.|#

(define x-pos (new message%
                   [parent parent1]
                   [label "0"]))

#|This variant of x-pos works, resizing with new set-label requests and
thus avoiding the truncation. |#
#;(define x-pos (new message%
                   [parent parent1]
                   [label "0"]#|Setting the label to say, "Long label!"
avoids the behavior as well.|#
                   [auto-resize #t]))

(send parent1 show #t)

#|The second frame*pos combo-|#
(define parent2 (new frame%
                              [label "Parent2"]
                              [width 200]
                              [height 200]
                              [enabled #t]))

#|Here comes the canvas subclass-I'm looking to override on-event method to
grab the x-component of the mouse pos, and I want to have that constantly
updating the x-pos message%. |#
(define my-canvas% (class canvas%

    (inherit get-dc)

    (define/override (on-event mouse-event)
      (define x (send mouse-event get-x))
      (send  x-pos set-label (number->string x)))
    (super-new)))

(define canvas (new my-canvas% [parent parent2]
                    [label "Nothing yet."]))

(send parent2 show #t)