[racket] Problem or bug in specifying GUI font

From: Harry Spier (vasishtha.spier at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 20 09:33:48 EDT 2012

Dear list members,

I'm using Windows Vista
When I create a window with a title as follows:

#lang racket/gui

;Top level window
(define main-ocr-frame (new frame%
                            [label  "DEVANAGARI OCR"]
                            [width  10000]
                            [height 10000]))

;Main title
(define title (new message%
                   [parent main-ocr-frame]
                   [label "DEVANAGARI OCR PROJECT"]
                   [font (make-object font% 40 <font-name>  'normal 'bold)]))

(send main-ocr-frame show #t);display window

It works correctly if <font-name> is any of:
'modern
'default
'system
'decorative
'swiss

but if <font-name> is any of:
'roman
'script
'symbol

Then the font size stays small and doesn't increase no matter what I
set the font size to, but as I increase the font size all that happens
is that the message label gets pushed farther and farther to the left.

Thanks,
Harry Spier

Posted on the users mailing list.