[racket] racket repl?

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sun Apr 15 15:43:31 EDT 2012

Olwe Melwasul wrote at 04/15/2012 02:20 PM:
> I'm a total beginner, but I've read extensively about Scheme and Lisp.
> I was wondering, does the racket repl behave like the CL repl, i.e.,
> can you do those amazing on-the-fly adding new code tricks I've read
> about with Lisp? I read the "Lisp at JPL" article with the amazing
> feats of repl daring he describes.

Racket has a REPL (more than one, actually), and you can do some dynamic
language things with it.  It's not the same as CL's REPL, and CL will
let you do some things that Racket intentionally discourages.

Regarding the Lisp at JPL paper, you can structure your spacecraft's
software to have its own special Racket REPL.  You would have to supply
the communications channel.

To start to get an idea of how one of Racket's REPLs can be used, see
tutorials at "http://docs.racket-lang.org/".  You mention reading
extensively, but don't mention using any of those languages.  If you are
able to type and mouse, I suggest installing DrRacket from
"http://racket-lang.org/download/" and playing with it.

Neil V.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/