[racket] Pulling BLOB from SQL DB

From: Ryan Culpepper (ryan at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 13 12:08:20 EDT 2012

On 04/12/2012 01:02 PM, J G Cho wrote:
> While reading a BLOB from MySQL, DrRacket (5.2.1 on Win7) crashes
> every time. (SQL was like 'select blobcol from table LIMIT 1')
>
> Ran the same code via command line on Ubuntu. Racket seems to run out
> of memory due to the size of BLOB.

How big was the blob? I have have some fixes pending for blobs that
don't fit within a single MySQL "packet", but that limit is pretty low.

> Questions:
>
> How can I give more memory to /usr/local/bin/racket?

Just the standard "ulimit" command.

> Or more importantly,
> Is there a way to pipe PORTs (in from MySQL and out to file) such that
> Racket can handle 'very large' BLOBs?

No, that's not possible. But you can try retrieving the blob in separate
chunks (eg use the SUBSTR function with varying offsets).

Ryan

Posted on the users mailing list.