[racket] srfi usage within Racket

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 4 11:17:38 EDT 2012

On 03/27/2012 01:46 PM, Neil Van Dyke wrote:
> Rodolfo Carvalho wrote at 03/27/2012 03:27 PM:
>> Actually, I wonder if people use any srfi much?
>
> Some people still use SRFIs with Racket (I don't anymore), but usually
> Racket has somewhat better comparable features separate from SRFIs,
> either built-in or in PLaneT.

Contrary to this, both the `plot' and `db' libraries use SRFI-19 - "Time
Data Types and Procedures". I don't know what `db' uses it for, but
`plot' uses it to format dates and times. This is one rare case where
Racket's built-in library isn't as full-featured as a SRFI.

To support what you wrote in a later email: follow the example of a
junior dev (me) and a more senior one (Ryan). Write your stuff in
Racket, and use the SRFIs for extra features when a standard library
doesn't have what you need.

Neil ⊥

Posted on the users mailing list.