[racket] Concurrent execution

From: Ivanyi Peter (pivanyi at freemail.hu)
Date: Fri Sep 30 22:49:42 EDT 2011

Hi All, I would like to ask for some advice.I have a problem in which I have several lists containing some data. These lists are created by one"process" and this part should be sequential. Then these lists should be checked against somelarge "database", list or hash table, and as a result some new lists must be built, which at the end mustbe merged. I would like to do this later processing concurrently on several cores.I am a little unsure which method to use: futures, places, threads, processes???(I am kind of familiar with parallel programming in C and MPI, but not this fine grained level.) I am not sure a couple of things here:- how to "distribute" the several lists to the "processes" ? (I do not want to use files for this) Is it possible?- how to merge the resulting lists at the end? Is it possible?- how to share, if it is possible at all, the common "database", list or hash table? If this is not reallypossible, it is not a problem I can "load" it in on each "process". (At least I hope.) Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, Peter Ivanyi