[racket] Offtopic: Learning SML

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Sun Sep 18 18:31:35 EDT 2011

On Sep 18, 2011, at 10:36 AM, Grant Rettke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Over the years I've noticed on-list that comments are made about OCaml
> and Haskell and abstract data types.
>
> It seems like it would be fun to learn more about this stuff; and I
> guessed that learning SML would be a nice place to start because it is
> stable and seemed to be used by educators a lot.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Are _ML for the Working Programmer_ and _Elements of ML Programming,
> ML97_  a good place to start?

My impression is that ocaml is much more actively developed & maintained that SML.  Furthermore, having used both (2-3K in each?), I believe that the only differences you'll encounter early will be ocaml's single semicolon rather than SML's double (or is it the other way?), and SML's top-level pattern-matching.

John