[racket] Quoted expressions in #lang racket

From: Racket Noob (racketnoob at hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 18 16:04:59 EDT 2011

 > I kindly suggest the thought that omitting the quote is precisely what
> makes things harder for beginners. It seems to suggest to the
> untrained that REPL is returning something that is not a value. As
> Matthias and others have pointed out, you can not take the "value" (1
> 2 3) and use it somewhere else. What sense does that make?

I think beginner should understand that list is basic lisp notion which serves (at least) two purposes: 1) list as data: as in (1 2 3) or as in whole lisp program or 2) list as expression denoting function application: as in (+ 1 2) Once when above two points is understood, there is no confusion at all. I think that masking those facts when teaching doesn't contribute to beginner's greater understanding of the true nature of lisp.