[racket] online check syntax error display tweak

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 9 11:04:52 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> I've changed how online check syntax reports errors. Instead of
> hilighting the source location in gold, it puts a little reddish thing
> in the right-hand margin where the error is. The goal is to make this
> less obtrusive in, say, lecture, but also to make it less painful for
> those among us who edit programs in such a way as to keep the parens
> always balanced.
>
> Let me know if you think it is an improvement or not

I like this a lot (I'm one of the those people too).  It would be
great if either or both of clicking the "Jump to error" button or
clicking on the red highlighting enabled the highlighting of the
actual error.  For example, this Typed Racket program is now hard to
understand the error in:

#lang typed/racket
(: f : Integer String -> Any)
(define (f x y) #f)
(f 5 5)

because you can't tell which 5 is the problem.

Speaking of things that would improve the experience of those who keep
parens balanced, if the error message appearing didn't move the
division between the definitions and interactions window, that would
be really nice.
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu