[racket] Using the profiler effectively?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 5 18:53:12 EDT 2011

On Sep 4, 2011, at 8:28 PM, Eli Barzilay wrote:

> Just now, Danny Yoo wrote:
>>
>> But I don't know how to interpret the results I'm getting back from
>> the profiler yet.  I guess I'm trying to say: I'm illiterate: I
>> don't know how to read the textual output of the profiler, and need
>> some help.
>
> The output is a conventional one.  (It's not completely compatible
> with gprof (I've based it on the output from Allegro Lisp), but it's
> close enough that it woudn't be hard to adapt it.)

Eli, your sentence and parenthetical remark are not an answer to Danny's question. I will say I was equally stumped when I used the profiler, and i thank Robby for explaining bits and pieces to me.

In general, the entire answer suggests that there is serious room for improvement. Sadly the whole problem sounds like a problem of presenting information in a useful and easily consumable manner -- which isn't PLT's strong point.

When I see such things, I sure wish we had an "HCI department" :-)

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.