[racket] which version of DrRacket to download

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Fri Sep 2 09:40:03 EDT 2011

Stephen Bloch wrote at 09/02/2011 09:14 AM:
> Linux panther.adelphi.edu 2.6.9-89.0.23.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Mar 5 17:56:21 EST 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> cat /etc/redhat-release says
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 8)

I think that's a pretty old version of RHEL.

I haven't used RHEL much, but if you want to avoid building from source,
just for grins, I would try the "Linux i386 (Fedora 12)" package.  If
that installs but doesn't run the first time, I'd run "ldd" on the
"racket" executable and see what that says, and hopefully you only need
to install missing shared libraries.

Your best bet might be to compile from source.

I don't know whether your RHEL 4 will have recent enough GTK-related
libraries needed by DrRacket anyay, so that might require you to be
building from source anyway.

If this is for student lab machines that are locked to an ancient RHEL
version, and they can't be upgraded, you have an alternative: a
GNU/Linux "Live CD" or "Live USB" that has recent GNU/Linux plus Racket
on it.  Then you're using the student lab hardware except for the hard
drives, and disregarding whatever OS they have installed.  I have some
experience with this, but it can be a lot of work to make it robust for
semi-literate students, so there would have to be a major need for it.
http://neilvandyke.org/lildeb/

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/