[racket] License on PLaneT packages?

From: Matt Jadud (jadudm at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 25 21:37:44 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I thought it was neat to see someone submit a Firmata library to the Planet.

http://planet.racket-lang.org/display.ss?package=firmata.plt&owner=xtofs

That said, it contains nothing whatsoever about a license. I can't
remember: does the package metadata have an explicit license field?
Should it be a required field?

I poked a few libraries in the list; Untyped seems to be reasonably
fastidious about including a LICENSE file, but this doesn't show up in
the metadata. The handful of other libraries I looked at contained
nothing in the docs or the code w.r.t. either copyright or license.

Does this matter? When a GPL'd piece of Racket code does a planet
require and pulls in code of unknown provenance... is it pulling in a
binary? Source? Is that code still GPL'd, or is it now in violation
(or some other confusing state of being)?

Just to spot check what other communities do, I looked at CPAN. (No
doubt mentioning CPAN in the same message as PLaneT could start a
flame war, but that's not my intent...)

http://www.perlfoundation.org/cpan_licensing_guidelines

They require a clear license.

I don't really do enough hacking/contributing in the PLT space at the
moment for this to be much more than a "troll" in some ways, but it
certainly isn't meant that way. It's just that I was glad to see a
connectivity layer for working with the Arduino appear, and then
realized that the code wasn't licensed in any way... raising questions
about how I could use it in my own programming.

Cheers,
Matt

Posted on the users mailing list.