[racket] sound + universe report: success.

From: Bloch Stephen (bloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 20 21:06:31 EDT 2011

I wrote:
>> "to-play" MIGHT be a good way to do things, but in many cases
>> (including the above "accelerate" example) it'll be more natural
>> to specify a sound as you determine the new world, rather than as
>> a separate function of the state of the world.  It's analogous to
>> the difference between "stop-when" and "stop-with".  One could
>> provide this ability very simply:
>>
>> (define (play-with sound world)
>>      (begin (play sound) world))

On Oct 20, 2011, at 2:27 PM, John Clements replied:

> Yes, but how do you write test cases for this?

Good question.  How do you write test cases for "play"?

At some point you inevitably move from returning values to outputting
them somehow, and they become much more difficult to test.  For text
output, we can capture it to a string, but test cases for sound may
need to be human-checked.

It occurs to me that a few months ago, when I was porting one of my
colleagues' students' "game programming" final project to Racket, I
used the "play-sound" function from racket/gui/base in a world
program.  It worked, but I wasn't trying to do anything complicated
with it.

Stephen Bloch
sbloch at adelphi.edu