[racket] sound + universe report: success

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Thu Oct 20 01:30:35 EDT 2011

On Oct 19, 2011, at 10:26 PM, Paul A. Steckler wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 4:21 PM,  <users-request at racket-lang.org> wrote:
>>   1. sound + universe report: success. (John Clements)
>
> How are you processing the sounds?
>
> It so happens I will be seeing the author of libsndfile this evening.
> As you may remember, we decided not to use that library around
> the release of DrS v53. Is that what you're using 'neath the hood?

Libsndfile is lovely, but I'm not using it.  In particular, libsndfile is designed to read and write a variety of formats. Rather than depend on yet another library, I just wrote my own code to read and write .wav files. The actual playing is handled by portaudio. If I had any ambition to read and write other formats, though, I'd definitely use libsndfile.

Give my regards to Erik de Castro Lopo, though; his library has been well-documented and well-supported for many years now.

John