[racket] require error

From: Marco Morazan (morazanm at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 18 15:55:26 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:

> As to why requiring racket/base causes an error: I believe that what
> is happneing is you are getting the racket/base version of require for
> the second require (it is shadowing the mzscheme-based require that
> #lang eopl introduces) and that version of require does not work well
> inside a mzscheme language (for technical details having to do with
> collaboration between the #%module-begin macro and require that I'm
> not really sure about).

Thank you, Robby. Your account provides a possible rational
explanation of what is occurring. I hope my questions have not
distracted you, Eli, or anyone else too much.

> So all that said, I think you can tell your students to just avoid
> racket/base and use other libraries that don't provide core things
> like 'require'.

and we now have a possible explanation for that error message.

> Meanwhile, we should really figure out a way to make eopl program
> behave better when something like this happens. At a minimum there
> should be an error message that makes sense somehow. (I don't have any
> good ideas on how to achieve this, but someone that understands the
> current error might.)

Do keep me posted!

--

Cheers,