[racket] Graphics Issues in Ubuntu 11.10

From: Todd O'Bryan (toddobryan at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 17 22:02:19 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> 30 minutes ago, Todd O'Bryan wrote:
>> The PPA makes things much nicer. I always have to install on:
>>  - my desktop
>>  - my laptop
>>  - my teacher machine
>>  - both servers at school, and
>>  - in the client image for the lab machines at school
>> so compiling on each system is a bit of a yawn.
> There's also our own installers, which are very easy to set up.  It's
> true that it won't get added as a known package in the system -- but
> OTOH, you can use the usual "whole-directory mode" where the whole
> thing is in a single directory.  If some of these machines share your
> home directory, and they're all running ubuntu, you can even put the
> racket directory in your home directory and cover more than a single
> machine.
I think I did this once or twice after compiling separately on each
machine for a few years and before the creation of the PPA. I can't
remember why I preferred compiling and building from scratch to the
binary installers, but there was some (probably nonsensical) reason.

Unfortunately, none of these machines share my home folder--school
firewalls and network wonkiness prevent that, so it really does
require separate installations. That makes the PPA's ability to notice
updates really nice.

Posted on the users mailing list.