[racket] Graphics Issues in Ubuntu 11.10

From: Todd O'Bryan (toddobryan at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 17 22:02:19 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> 30 minutes ago, Todd O'Bryan wrote:
>> The PPA makes things much nicer. I always have to install on:
>>  - my desktop
>>  - my laptop
>>  - my teacher machine
>>  - both servers at school, and
>>  - in the client image for the lab machines at school
>> so compiling on each system is a bit of a yawn.
>
> There's also our own installers, which are very easy to set up.  It's
> true that it won't get added as a known package in the system -- but
> OTOH, you can use the usual "whole-directory mode" where the whole
> thing is in a single directory.  If some of these machines share your
> home directory, and they're all running ubuntu, you can even put the
> racket directory in your home directory and cover more than a single
> machine.

I think I did this once or twice after compiling separately on each
machine for a few years and before the creation of the PPA. I can't
remember why I preferred compiling and building from scratch to the
binary installers, but there was some (probably nonsensical) reason.

Unfortunately, none of these machines share my home folder--school
firewalls and network wonkiness prevent that, so it really does
require separate installations. That makes the PPA's ability to notice
updates really nice.

Todd

Posted on the users mailing list.