[racket] Graphics Issues in Ubuntu 11.10

From: Logan Mayfield (jlmayfield.4 at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 17 08:11:34 EDT 2011

I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 and have noticed some pretty serious
glitches in the graphics of DrRacket.  Most notably tabs are no
longer visible but are select-able.  Meaning, if I click where the tabs
should be, it'll switch tabs.  I'm assuming this has something to do with
the Unity UI.

The bug is present in both 5.1.3 installed from the PPA and when running a
version compiled from the github master branch (version
5.2.0.1--2011-10-15(cb6a712/g) ).

Other than that, I haven't noticed anything bad.  With 11.04 scrolling
through source was terrible.  If you held down the up or down arrow it would
pretty much buffer the movement to the point where when you let go of the
arrow it would continue to move.  That seems to be fixed with the upgrade to
11.10.

I'm assuming this is mostly an issue related to Unity and the global menu
bar, but I'm not really sure how to go about working around it short of
switching to a different desktop UI or OS.  Any help would be appreciated.

-Logan