[racket] Learning Scheme and Racket

From: Asumu Takikawa (asumu at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 5 00:48:43 EDT 2011

On 2011-10-04 21:28:21 -0400, Harry Spier wrote:
>    I'm teaching myself Scheme (as an old imperative language programmer) by
>    going through SCIP, the little Schemer, the Seasoned Schemer etc. and
>    #lang Racket by going through the Racket guide and documentation.

>    What I would find useful is a list of the major differences between a standard
>    form of Scheme (such as r5rs for example) and #lang Racket.  Can any of
>    the members point me to such a list or table?

I don't know of a comprehensive table anywhere.  The documentation for
Racket's R5RS and R6RS compatibility layers has some brief comments on
differences:
http://pre.racket-lang.org/docs/html/guide/standards.html

If you look on the Racket blog, you can find articles on specific
deviations from Scheme such as avoiding mutable pairs:
http://blog.racket-lang.org/2007/11/getting-rid-of-set-car-and-set-cdr.html

>    Also if there are any articles that discuss the design decisions about
>    Racket where it has diverged from the usual or standard form of Scheme.
>    Not just where it differs but why it was made different.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any good articles that broadly
and explicitly compare Racket and Scheme. However, several articles have
addressed "why Racket" such as these:

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/Thoughts/Racket_is____.html
http://blog.racket-lang.org/2010/06/plt-is-happy-to-announce-release-of.html

Cheers,