[racket] Learning Scheme and Racket

From: Asumu Takikawa (asumu at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 5 00:48:43 EDT 2011

On 2011-10-04 21:28:21 -0400, Harry Spier wrote:
>    I'm teaching myself Scheme (as an old imperative language programmer) by
>    going through SCIP, the little Schemer, the Seasoned Schemer etc. and
>    #lang Racket by going through the Racket guide and documentation.

>    What I would find useful is a list of the major differences between a standard
>    form of Scheme (such as r5rs for example) and #lang Racket.  Can any of
>    the members point me to such a list or table?

I don't know of a comprehensive table anywhere.  The documentation for
Racket's R5RS and R6RS compatibility layers has some brief comments on

If you look on the Racket blog, you can find articles on specific
deviations from Scheme such as avoiding mutable pairs:

>    Also if there are any articles that discuss the design decisions about
>    Racket where it has diverged from the usual or standard form of Scheme.
>    Not just where it differs but why it was made different.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any good articles that broadly
and explicitly compare Racket and Scheme. However, several articles have
addressed "why Racket" such as these:

Posted on the users mailing list.