[racket] CRLF vs LF & windows

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at telefonica.net)
Date: Sat Oct 1 19:53:17 EDT 2011

In the past I have encountered some inconsistencies using DrRacket
(DrScheme) programs producing files I could not read back because of the lf
cq lfcr inconsitensy. Since a few months I have not noticed any difficulty.
IIRC this was with checking equality of strings produced by DrRacket with
those in the code itself. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for thinking about
simple Window users like me.

My Suggestion:
Always read cr, lf and crlf as identical, both in code and read data. So
"\n" should match cr, lf and crlf. This may have nasty consequenses for
procedure string-length. Drop cr and lf and make it 'newline', crlf
included.

The best thing, of course, would be microsoft to adapt to more generally
adopted conventions, but they probably can't because of backward
compatibility.

May be at the DrScheme level, we should ignore all control characters,
except newline, encoded as cr, lf or crlf, (the last combination being
counted as one single character, how nasty this may be)

I'll inform you of my experiences with you latest adaptation in this
respect.
Thanks, Jos