[racket] Poll: Does anybody besides Doug use 'plot'?

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat Oct 1 14:18:08 EDT 2011

Neil Toronto wrote at 10/01/2011 01:50 PM:
> On 10/01/2011 10:44 AM, Neil Van Dyke wrote:
>> 1. Call the new library "plot2", and make "plot" be a compatibility
>> layer for "plot2". Add pointers in strategic locations of "plot" parts
>> of documentation, saying telling reader probably want to use "plot2" for
>> new development.
>
> That's what Robby wants. I've tried it that way as well. It works fine.
>
> My main problem with it is when *future* users search for "plot" in
> the documentation. They'd get the pointers in strategic locations,
> yes, but users don't always read text. And the pointers would have to
> be in a lot of places.

If the problem with option #1 is users looking at "plot" documentation
and not  seeing the "DON'T USE THIS, USE PLOT2" warnings... I'll
volunteer to edit "collects/plot/plot.scrbl" to try to avoid this problem.

Option #1 seems like an easy way to go, from what I can see.

>> 2. Make the APIs for the old library and new library not conflict, by
>> making any necessary changes to the new API, and put both APIs together
>> in single library named "plot" that users get with "(require plot)".
>> Document the old API parts as deprecated.
>
> I had thought of this, but not seriously checked it out until you
> suggested it just now.

Sounds like option #2 would be messy and a lot of work -- bogging down
innovation.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/