[racket] Behaviour with read-only files

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Thu Nov 17 13:13:27 EST 2011

On Nov 17, 2011, at 10:10 AM, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2011, at 1:08 PM, John Clements wrote:
>

>> On Nov 17, 2011, at 9:12 AM, Alexander Krimm wrote:
>>

>>> PS: is there any way to stop the stepper from continuing to execute the
>>> programm while you are looking at steps in the beginning of the
>>> programm? I had an infinite loop in one of my programms and while i was
>>> trying to figure out why break condition didn't catch the stepper was
>>> continuing infinitely slowing my system down to inuseability
>>>

>> I'm going to focus on the part that's relevant to me:
>>
>> How would it be if the stepper halted the program's execution every 10K steps and popped up a dialog asking whether you really wanted to continue?
>>

> How about it just stops after 1000 steps and if a programmer clicks enough to see the last step, it then asks whether the next 1000 steps should be computed.

Minor problem: the "end" button.

More major problem (?): world/universe code with callbacks. In this case, the only way to get the picture moving again would be to manually move the stepper to the end step.

For these reasons (and a general gut feeling), I think it's better to treat the stepper as a parallel process that's sending messages over to the UI side.

John