[racket] article about Racket

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 13 16:11:23 EST 2011

When I first tried Racket (back when it was PLT Scheme), I primarily
programmed in Java and C++. I didn't like Racket's IDE at all.

Then I switched to Python and learned how to use a REPL. I searched for
a good Python IDE but didn't find one. The fact that I didn't have to
define a new project for every little test program made up for it.

Two years later, I tried Racket again, and I really liked the minimalist
IDE. It was basically what I had been looking for when programming in
Python.

Then I discovered the macro stepper. Holy unwashed socks. WOW.

That's not to say that DrRacket doesn't have its problems. My main one
is, as someone else mentioned, that scrolling and editing can be rather
slow. But it supports the intended workflow very well and doesn't get in
your way.

Neil T