[racket] DrRacket needs work

From: Raoul Duke (raould at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 12 22:05:17 EST 2011

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Grant Rettke <grettke at acm.org> wrote:
> New IDEs always feel weird. Try out EiffelStudio and it seems so weird
> but after a few days it feels right at home. DrRacket is the same.

for sure there are lots of ways to look at this issue. what is the
real target audience? what can we expect them to feel, to want, to
expect, to assume? to not be willing to put up with? what can they
quickly grok or not grok? etc.

i'm coming from the perspective of somebody who is mostly an eclipse
user (and thinks eclipse is a four letter word of course in many
regards but hey there ya go) and e.g. has once again read about racket
on some blog or site i try to read, and i'm like "ok time to try
again" and then i hit the brick wall of unfriendly unusability from my
perspective.

so i might be totally the wrong audience because i can't stomach
trying to get to the stuff that is under the skin-deep-ugly to the
deeper way cool powerful technology.

sincerely.

Posted on the users mailing list.