[racket] debugging core dump - comments appreciated

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Mon May 23 22:01:31 EDT 2011

Matthew Flatt wrote at 05/23/2011 09:52 PM:
> Looking more at GC_clear_stack_segment(), it doesn't allocate nearly
> enough stack space to run out with only 10 or so calls, at least not
> for a normal-sized stack. Is a stack limit set when running the Racket
> program?

We're not explicitly setting any stack limits anywhere.  I believe but
am not certain that that core dump came from a "mzscheme -jqr" from
inside an Apache CGI context that got a native stack ulimit of 8192 kB
(the normal limit on that machine).  Shall I confirm this?

What I was about to send in response to your previous email...

Thanks for the educational reading of the stack trace.

Could code evaluated at module load time, such as "make-standard-set"
(which has some non-tail calls in loops, I don't know the size), be
using lots of stack, and, once every 100,000 runs of a large program,
combines with nondeterministic GC behavior and a bug to cause a seg fault?

(Sleepily, I'm wondering whether a billion invocations of a program that
does little but "require" "char-set.ss" would also trigger the rare
crash we are seeing.  I would be very surprised, but it would be like
winning the lottery jackpot of minimal test cases, compared to debugging
the large app.)

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/