[racket] Scribble: exact-chars in multiarg-element

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Thu May 19 08:52:02 EDT 2011

On 5/18/11 11:32 PM, Robby Findler wrote:
> Can you set up a helper macro that is just the identity and end up
> with something like this?
>
>    \newcommand{\somethingorother}[1]{#1}
>    \setbeamerfont{myfont}{\somethingorother{size={40}{44}}}

You would think so, but \setbeamerfont is finicky about the form of that
argument. However, in perusing the Beamer manual, I discovered that what
I wanted to say (there was a * missing in my original question as quoted
above):

\setbeamerfont{myfont}{size*={40}{44}}

is equivalent to

\setbeamerfont{myfont}{size=\fontsize{40}{44}}

and I can build that in Scribble, since there are no escapes in the
arguments of \fontsize.

But before I realized that, I spent some time looking for alternatives
involving \bgroup and \egroup in the TeXBook last night, which I first
read in detail in 1984. Talk about an unhygenic macro system!

There's a bug in the rendering of multiarg-element in latex-render.rkt.
The 'exact-chars property is not "inherited" by the list of elements
during the recursive rendering. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.