[racket] Getting started with R6RS

From: Elliott Cable (me at ell.io)
Date: Sat May 14 09:26:39 EDT 2011

Both of you misunderstood. A) I don’t use DrRacket (partially because
I’m working on the Lion developer privew, and DrRacket won’t build
there; and partially because I have an inbuilt disrespect for
graphical IDEs.) and B) I’ve already read all of the documentation you
linked to; that’s exactly where I’m finding information like
`#%module-begin`. It’s extremely unclear how to use that directive.

Anyway, to rephrase my original question so it’s more clear: `#!r6rs`,
and the expansion of that, `(module foo r6rs … )`, combined with
`(#%module-begin … )`, is causing a syntactic error when I try to use
two `(#%moduleb-begin … )`s in the same file (and thus in the same
Racket `(module … )` decaration, since it doesn’t seem Racket will
allow two `(module … )` declarations in a given file.) The goal here,
just to get started with something simple, was to declare both a
simple R6RS library, and an R6RS “top-level program,” and have that
top-level program consume the library in some way. Simple stuff, just
to experiment as I am reading the R6RS spec and learning.

As for the argument that I should be learning Racket instead of R6RS …
well, there’s dozens of languages I should be learning right now.
Unfortunately, Scheme, *standard* Scheme, not the “Racket” language,
is what I’ve decided to learn next. I’m only using Racket because it
was the only R6RS-compilant compiler I could find that would build on
Lion with any amount of coaxing. At some point in the future, somebody
may convince me that Racket, the language, is worth my time to learn,
but that day is not today. (Even if such happens, it’ll have to get in
line behind Erlang, Clojure, Haskell, and something like half a dozen
others. :3)