[racket] parallelism

From: Stephan Houben (stephanh at planet.nl)
Date: Wed May 11 15:40:14 EDT 2011

Hi Stephen,

On 05/11/2011 09:02 PM, Stephen Bloch wrote:
> My ideal interface would be a "for/parallel" form that executes the "for" body conceptually in parallel for each possible values of the loop variables.  Even friendlier would be for the existing "for" forms to do that automatically until something order-dependent happens... but that seems very difficult to detect.  By using "for/parallel", I would be promising the compiler that
> (a) no iteration of the for-loop depends on results computed by any other iteration of the for-loop, and
> (b) different iterations of the for-loop either don't mutate any of the same memory locations, or if they do, I don't care which one gets there first.

This sounds like what an OpenGL (fragment) shader effectively does.
Can I plug my RacketGL package on Planet?
With this you can access GL shading language functionality from Racket.

The shader itself though has to be written in GLSL.
No (subset of) Racket -> GLSL compiler. Yet.

Stephan

Posted on the users mailing list.