[racket] Fix for dherman/json

From: Parnell Springmeyer (ixmatus at gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 2 11:19:47 EDT 2011

To chime in, I've found Python's PyPi setup to work quite well. It
doesn't handle any issue tracking, it will instead provide a reference
URL to the repository (GitHub, BitBucket, whatever) that the author is
using for version control which usually will have an issue tracker built
in.

I like that approach much more because most of my time is spent on
BitBucket and I would prefer to keep it there instead of switching
around to different setups.

PLaneT should only be a distribution medium (as PyPi is)... IMHO of
course!

Neil Van Dyke <neil at neilvandyke.org> writes:

> Robby Findler wrote at 05/02/2011 06:19 AM:
>> Are there bug reporting systems that you or Neil (or anyone, really) like?
>>

> I've used a lot of issue-tracking systems, but don't recall a
> particularly likable one.  They range from passable to infuriating.
>
> The main annoyance with the PLaneT Trac thing is that it's an
> *additional* thing I need to deal with.  I was already getting bug
> reports and enhancement requests emailed to me directly, in addition
> to the issues that I identified myself... and now I have to keep track
> of an third place where issues are noted, and then hassle with its
> interface when handling those issues.  That's making the process
> heavier-weight for me, not lighter-weight.
>
> The mixed feelings I'm having are that, as a package *author*, I don't
> want to have to use Trac, *but*, in an open source environment like
> PLaneT, as a package *user*, I can see value in getting known issues
> out into the open.
>
> Despite feelings mixed, I'm leaning towards thinking that package
> authors/maintainers to be able to disable PLaneT Trac for their
> packages, on a per-package basis, with the understanding that the
> author/maintainer is then supposed to provide alternative means for
> reporting bugs.  The default would be for Trac to be enabled.
>
> If people want to know the known issues in my packages, most of the
> issues are noted in the source code or documentation.  That's not
> optimal for them, compared to (in theory) being able to go to a
> well-known Web site and see all the issues, but I'll be somewhat less
> slow to respond to emailed bug reports.
>
> One more comment: I estimate that I get a few times more issues from
> Racket users through email than through PLaneT Trac.  I know a lot of
> people don't like going to a Web site and filling out bug submission
> forms, and perhaps that's why I get more email than Trac.  This also
> means that known issues about my packages generally aren't in Trac
> anyway.

- --
Parnell "ixmatus" Springmeyer (http://ixmat.us)

Posted on the users mailing list.