[racket] PLaneT package installs can run out of memory?

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 27 21:40:48 EDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 7:26 PM, Charles Hixson
<charleshixsn at earthlink.net> wrote:
> What does it mean if you set DrRacket to "unlimited memory"?
> Clearly memory isn't really unlimited, but a couple of things is could mean
> are:
> 1) It runs until it's used all the RAM on your machine, and then it aborts,
> or
> 2) It runs until it's decided it's used as much RAM as it should, and then
> it starts spooling to disk.
> (If it's option 2, is there any way to set where the data should be spooled
> to?  Does it always choose the pre-allocated swap partition, or can you
> specify that it should spool to a file on some other partition.  [This isn't
> yet important to me, but eventually I'm going to want to deal with very
> large data sets, and there are partitions that have much more spare space
> than does the swap partition.])

It means keep asking the operating system for more memory with no
regards for the consequences which can include either or both of the
options above, depending  on your operating system and how it is
configured, generally speaking. In any case, it moves things out of
the control of Racket/DrRacket.

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.