[racket] preference: 32-bit or 64-bit racket?

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 9 21:43:21 EST 2011

After working in C/C++ on Windows for nearly 25 years, for some reason
I got it into my head I wanted to learn Scheme.

I settled on PLT Scheme. I liked the IDE and docs.

I spent months with my brain going eh, huh, what?

I got through that. I got a lot of help from the amazing people on this list.

At some point I noticed a lot of folks are using Emacs.

I installed Emacs (my fingers vaguely remembering Epsilon from 20
years ago). I installed this great thing called Quack, contributed by
someone with a name really similar to yours, Neil. ;)

I installed Cygwin, and I installed msysGit which has Git Bash.

I used Terminal my secondary laptop, a Mac.

After awhile I said what the hey and spooled up a $0.02 per hour Linux
instance from EC2. I got lost and found a few dozen times, and had fun
and stretched my brain in more ways.

At this point I'm rotating among Windows 7 on a ThinkPad, a Mac, and a
Linux server. I'm really enjoying it. I see what they have in common,
where they each shine.

The common threads are Racket, Emacs, bash.

The gateway was Racket.

The team that has created Racket and the community that supports it is
truly special. I am very grateful for the welcoming, patient, and
accepting attitude that has been extended to me by everyone.