[racket] Liitin screencast tutorial

From: Jukka Tuominen (jukka.tuominen at finndesign.fi)
Date: Sat Mar 5 15:11:59 EST 2011

> I'll tell more about Liitin history in a while...

It started about ten years ago (still just a kid compared to Xanadu). The
problem with computers/computing was/is that the interfaces are so clumsy
that even at best it feels like you are interacting with them with your
elbows (both HW and SW issue). If qwerty is considered the top of the line
we have a long way to go, but as you walk out the door you compose text
messages with a number pad or soft keyboard with limited access to your
"life journal data (LJD)". You withdraw some cash from an ATM with totally
different HW and SW interface with no access to your LJD. You buy your
subway ticket from yet another interface and so on.

So the idea was first to allow more optimal and personal means to
communicate with the computers/technology (we called it Personal User
Interface (PUI) at that time). People have different physical
characteristics and they change along with our interests during life time.

In addition to improved HW and SW design, you must also have a standard
means to communicate with various devices. Otherwise you have a device that
you can only use at home.

Even with these challenges solved, you would still need to dig deeper in the
overall architecture to solve issues that Liitin tries to address.  In the
overall concept; accumulate life-long personal data and methods and interact
with others and eventually the whole human kind heritage (data AND
methods)... (can you hear the angel chorus :)

So, this is briefly the story how we ended up creating Liitin. I hope we can
eventually return to where we started.

br, jukka

Posted on the users mailing list.