[racket] Liitin screencast tutorial

From: Jukka Tuominen (jukka.tuominen at finndesign.fi)
Date: Fri Mar 4 18:47:45 EST 2011

Hi Matthias,

I need to look into this - sounds beautifully insane! There must be
something to learn from that. How to stay alive, atleast :)

>  -- Jeff Siskind's November system for STALIN Scheme
> 	it too was about complete total version control,
> 	in the sense of Gerlernter's stream idea but focused
> 	on Scheme stuff; I do not know whether he ever implemented it.
>
> 	Jeff's STALIN is an abbreviation for Static Language Implementation
> 	November is of course a reference to the Russian revolution

What I've found out, that starting from a little thing, you tend to depend
on more things, so you need to "control" more area, which in turn depend on
even more things, and so on. So, in the end we needed to include the whole
OS into Liitin. But then again, the role of Liitin is still to work as a
simple but generic Turing machine. So, you communicate with it via network,
and it crunches the data in a uniform way.

> 2. Have you developed portions of Liitin in Liitin? I assume you have
> read the 1999 paper on 'revenge of the son of the Lisp machine'. Perhaps
> you could just start with a 'demo' on how to develop something like it in
> Liitin.
>
> In a way one should re-do the entire code base of Racket in Liitin
> to really test-drive it. I could imagine huge gains, once it is
> polished and stable and ready for the world
>
> -- Matthias

I think I mentioned some time earlier, that the purpose of the provided
environment is like a BIOS. It gets you started, but eventually you want to
bypass it with something more improved.

It would be great to achieve the ultimate system in the end, but we made a
decision not to wait untill then. Intead, we tried to create a system that
you have a theoretical possibility to build it with, and start it right away
with an imperfect system. That's why there is much more stuff included than
necessary, but you can hide it all once you don't need them any more.

You could easily launch a Liitin object that will run a totally new system;
language or even the whole OS. But I still find it important that you can
still keep all the earlier content functional, so all Liitin object should
start from a common seed. In other words, all Liitin objects still should
look the same on the top level, say a single object name, e.g.

(liitin:do-stuff) vs (liitin:do-stuff-in-the-ultimate-way)

I know there are many (near) dead-ends to be expected, but it still feels
naiively interesting to find out what't at the end of the road. Those
examples that you mentioned... they ended well, didn't they? :)

br, jukka