[racket] My PLT->Racket porting experience

From: Drew Hess (drew.hess at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 2 23:16:51 EST 2011

Hi Matthias,

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>  -- I will say that even though I use drracket on a near-daily
>    basis on the mac, I have never found the problem with the
>    dialogues that you describe.

This particular problem of occluded dialog boxes occurred on occasion
in my Bootstrap classes, too, using DrScheme from PLT 4.2.x, so it
was independently reproducible on different Macs, in different schools,
running various versions of Mac OS X. Have you tried adding a teachpack
that already exists while in Beginner mode, prompting the overwrite
warning dialog? That's when I encountered it with Racket 5.1 on Mac
OS X 10.6.

> And from the 'tone' of your message, I am sure you understand
> that v5 is a major change/step from v4.

Yes, in particular I'm aware of the GUI changes, so while the slower
scrolling performance is annoying, it's understandable.

> So thanks again. Could you do us a favor and submit future
> bugs via the drracket bug report system? -- Matthias

I considered it this time, but decided to post to the list with
the hope that the problems I encountered, and their resolutions,
will be useful to others in the future. I cursorily searched the
"users" list for solutions to the play-sound problems (and to
a problem I'm having with threads on Windows, more on that when
I can write a simple test case to demonstrate the problem), but
didn't find much help.

Would you prefer that I file bugs for the problems I reported
in my earlier message?

thanks