[racket] Integrating scribble and LaTeX

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Jun 23 18:46:36 EDT 2011

8 minutes ago, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> Eli, you're wrong. When people initially request such things they
> don't think of all possible bad scenarios.  Let them play with it.
> Most of the time, it may just work and it's what they need.

Sure -- given that the ability to get the parts separately is already
in, my post was mostly intended as a friendly advice to people who may
consider trying to actually make sense out of these kind of latex
hacks...  I'm certainly not suggesting undoing the new feature.

> Eli, you're also correct. In principle, the latex linker [...]

"Linker" should have been quoted...  But more seriously, the
combination of a single global scope, an ability to change the
language at the lowest syntactic levels (= the character level), and
an impenetrable lazy-like langugae that works via textual expansions
can easily lead to severe hair loss.  (Good that it's free of bugs
though!)

[Actually there's a potentially interesting point: latex is slapping
enough of these changes on tex that they're essentially two
incompatible languages, with only a small set of trivial programs that
can be used on both sides.  Now, IIUC, Rails is doing something
similar with the level on monkeypatching it layers on Ruby -- maybe
it's the same kind of problem?]