[racket] Limit command-line Racket's memory

From: Tony Garnock-Jones (tonyg at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 14 10:55:16 EDT 2011

On 2011-06-14 10:43 AM, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> I'll look at your patches more soon. In cross-compiling mode, probably
> `configure' should just use whatever `racket' is installed rather than
> a specific path to some `rakcetcgc'.

The reason for this is that OpenWRT doesn't depend much on what the
system has installed at all. Instead, the canonical way that it, and
other similar systems like OpenEmbedded, does things in situations such
as this is to build package X once in "host" mode, for installation into
a staging directory, and then to use the "host" build of X to help build
the "target" build of X. So it's important to be able to tell the guest
build to use a particular instance of racket for bootstrapping, just as
it is important to be able to tell it which C compiler to use.

> The "newgc.c" file has
>   #define GEN0_SIZE_FACTOR 0.5
>   #define GEN0_MAX_SIZE (32 * 1024 * 1024)

Excellent - as you say, these are likely to be good starting points for
experimentation. I'll have a look at the code to get a feel for what the
others do, as well.

Regards,
   Tony

Posted on the users mailing list.