[racket] Server side continuations

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 10 21:26:00 EDT 2011

Since this is a public forum, so someone reading that post might also
find this thread, let me point out one more source of confusion.

Continuations do not manufacture more names *than there really are*.
So, no matter how you program (continuations or CPS, Ajax or not) you
still have to come up with that many distinct names.

You could let the framework choose them for you.  OR, you could choose
to give names to the entry points and have the framework calculate
just the arguments needed for each of those entry points.

The latter is what serialization achieves, at which point you have
achieved the same testability, etc., as you have otherwise.

The key point of confusion in the post is therefore that it conflates
continuation-based *programming* with continuation-based *deployment*.

Maybe we should write a paper about this stuff sometime (he says with
bitter irony).

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.