[racket] A question about code-style (and memory usage)

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Jul 26 16:18:47 EDT 2011

Three minutes ago, Robby Findler wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> > ([*] I started with something close to what DrRacket does, then
> > went with something that I find even more convenient that hooks to
> > the Emacs input method thing but lets me use a huge set of names.)
>
> Can you share the improvements/differences? Maybe DrRacket can get
> better on this score.

Well, one thing that I disliked in the presence of many names (I have
around 1100 of them now) is the fact that I'll type \something, hit
M-\ and see that there's nothing, and then I need to start editing the
"something" or whatever.  Worse, I get no help from the environment
telling me about which shorthands are known -- and this argument
finally made me look at Emacs input methods which are now mature
enough to deal with such problems.

So my solution is to bind one key (I used M-enter, since I actually
use M-\ for its default binding) to switch to a one-time input method
that has all of those names.  For example, to get a `λ', I type
`M-enter \' or `M-enter lambda' or `M-enter lgr' ("l greek").

*And* I'm now getting the Emacs echo area thing (the line at the
bottom) to tell me about possible ways to continue the name I'm
entering, which is very useful for some of the more obscure names that
I barely remember.