[racket] Sweet expressions; or making it easier to introduce Racket to me and my coworkers :-)

From: Hendrik Boom (hendrik at topoi.pooq.com)
Date: Tue Jul 19 22:18:27 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:04:10PM -0400, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2011, at 9:28 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
> > My son tried  to gat a web site working using the RAcket web engine.  In
> > the end, he failed.  He had rented virtual machine from a server
> > provider, and discovered that Racket just used too much active memory
> > for that configuration to be practical.  Every now and then his
> > virtual machine would blow up in memory usage and crash.  Given more
> > real memory, or maybe a machine to itself, it might have worked
> > quite well.  He eventually switched other software, despite having a
> > kind of love aaffair with Scheme.
>

> Not that I can contradict you -- you were there with your son, I wasn't -- it would be really helpful to get more details on stories like that as soon as they happen.

He's Henk Boom; I believe he was discussing his problems here on this
mailing list while he was struggling with it.  That was, maybe, two or
three years ago?

-- hendrik

> Racket is used on commercial contexts by web companies so it wouldn't just help us but them too.

I asked him for the executive summary, soo to speak, and he told me that
the problem ws that Racket was more demanding on a virtual machine
(which is potentially shared) than on a real machine (where you actually
have all the real memory you think you have).

Still, Racket apparently used more memory that the system he's using
now.

> -- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.