[racket] Sweet expressions; or making it easier to introduce Racket to me and my coworkers :-)

From: Hendrik Boom (hendrik at topoi.pooq.com)
Date: Tue Jul 19 21:28:00 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 07:13:07PM +0200, Danny Wilson wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Short version: is there an implementation of
> http://www.dwheeler.com/readable/sweet-expressions.html  for
> typed/racket or just racket?
>

> Long version:
>
> The past few days I've gotten really excited about the possibilities
> of using the Racket for my projects. I'm mostly a self-taught
> programmer without a CS or scheme background. Currently I'm working
> on a rather large (web)application project, consisting of:  haXe,
> some Scala, PHP (unfortunately) a bit of D and modifications to
> C/C++
>
> I tend to make enough typo's in my coding to appreciate static
> typing. Having tried scheme and lisp now and then, I couldn't really
> get over everything being dynamically typed - (as well not finding
> any mentioning or guarantees about performance, memory usage or
> anything like that). Typed Racket got me very excited.

My son tried  to gat a web site working using the RAcket web engine.  In
the end, he failed.  He had rented virtual machine from a server
provider, and discovered that Racket just used too much active memory
for that configuration to be practical.  Every now and then his
virtual machine would blow up in memory usage and crash.  Given more
real memory, or maybe a machine to itself, it might have worked
quite well.  He eventually switched other software, despite having a
kind of love aaffair with Scheme.