[racket] Advice: simulating stateful API in functional setting

From: Ivanyi Peter (pivanyi at freemail.hu)
Date: Sat Jul 16 11:24:38 EDT 2011

Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> írta:

> And that leaves only one option: start with mathematical-style programming because we know that this is mathematics and there is no transfer needed. It is the *same* skill.

Just my 2 cents. :-))  I fully agree with this.
We teach "web programmers". They learn basically only "web technologies" and programming.
No mathematics class, only what they have brought with themselves from secondary grammar school.
When we start teaching them programming, sooner or later we hit a "wall", where mathematics
is required. Sinus, cosinus for graphics, average and some other calculation for finance and
so on. They just have to "pick it up" as we go.

Best regards,

Peter Ivanyi

Posted on the users mailing list.