[racket] macro expansion function in Scheme

From: Bas Steunebrink (bas at idsia.ch)
Date: Tue Jul 12 19:08:01 EDT 2011

Excellent idea! I looked at the source code of macro-debugger but there
was quite an intimidating amount of it. :-s So I took the ugliest but
fastest path: simply catch the textual output of the expand/step-text
function and use Racket's reader to get the result of the last step as a
datum (I know it's horrible but it works!). Any anomalies (such as
"lambda:2" -> "lambda") are easily fixed. :-)

Thanks again for the helpful pointers,
Bas

Op 12-7-2011 16:35, Matthias Felleisen schreef:

> Since Ryan's stepper does that and renders the expression for you, I suspect he could supply something close to syntax->datum*.
>

> On Jul 12, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Bas Steunebrink wrote:
>
>> Thanks Matthias and Eli, I understand what expand does and that syntax->datum throws away too much (by design). Still my question remains of how to obtain a datum that is equivalent to a given quoted expression (when eval'ed) but with all macros expanded (generating fresh symbols where necessary). So does there exist a function syntax->datum* such that:
>>
>>> (define-syntax m
>>     (syntax-rules ()
>>       ((_ x)
>>        (lambda (x) (lambda (y) x)))))
>>> (((m y) #t) #f)
>> #t   ; OK
>>> (syntax->datum* (expand '(m y)))
>> (lambda (y) (lambda (g42) y))   ; g42 is a fresh symbol
>>> (((eval (syntax->datum* (expand '(m y)))) #t) #f)
>> #t   ; using Racket's syntax->datum gives #f
>>
>> Please note that I'm really interested in getting just the macro-expanded datum (otherwise I would've been done already!).
>>

>> Thanks again for your kind help,
>> Bas

>>> Fire up drracket and run the stepper.

Posted on the users mailing list.