[racket] Tools for new languages

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 12 08:37:57 EDT 2011

In the Racket world, OO tends to be a library; it doesn't have to be
baked in a low-level thanks to the macro system (specifically the
racket/class system is probably the most widely used oo system in
Racket).

Probably the right path is to write a parser (using the parser
collection) that essentially just turns everything into a fully
parenthesized language and then use the macro system from there to
compile into some variant of Racket (you could even start off by
compiling into racket/class if you think that Grace's class system is
going to be a class-based, java-ish class system).

Also, fwiw, we are moving towards a world where users indicate the
language that they are programming in by writing a one-line
declaration at the top, something like:

  #lang grace

or maybe

  #lang grace/bsl

(for "the beginning student language" variant of Grace).

I suggest you use this route; if you decide you would rather have the
students push a button in the IDE to select their language instead of
writing that line at the top of the file, you can do something like
what we currently do in the HtDP teaching languages, where that line
is there in the saved file, but invisible when the file is being
edited in DrRacket. (Although I generally recommend just making them
write that line.)

hth,
Robby