[racket] Price of RackUnit

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Wed Jul 6 21:13:04 EDT 2011

On Jul 6, 2011, at 6:01 PM, Neil Van Dyke wrote:

> For the example module you gave, I believe that any time that module is loaded by "require" or similar, those tests will be evaluated.
>
> There is a recent discussion thread that's relevant to wanting to embed tests in modules this way:
> http://lists.racket-lang.org/dev/archive/2011-June/006815.html
>
> For now, I think that the preferred place for tests is in separate modules that "require" the module to be tested.  I think that is the friendliest thing for PLaneT modules, at least, since we like reusable modules to load quickly, and unit testing at each load time is overkill for almost every application.

But then you have to 'provide' everything you want to test. I think the test suite solution is much cleaner, or possibly whatever Jay/Eli/Matthias/Ryan/etc. come up with (this is a topic of fairly current discussion).

In my experience, the one compelling reason not to include unit tests in the same module is to trim the 'require' chain for modules that are included in the DrRacket startup.

John